About The Mask
The first official journal of Kappa Psi Fraternity was published in 1904 under the name, The Mask. The unusual name, The Mask, owes its selection to the historic association with the first membership badge or pin which occurred in the form of a domino or half-mask. The name was suggested by Preston W. Eldridge, Editor of the first issue in January 1904.
The Constitution of Kappa Psi Fraternity, which was adopted December 2, 1905, described the official journal in Article XXIV as follows:
The Kappa Psi Fraternity shall publish a journal in the interests of and for the convenience and instruction of the members of the order, to be known as The Mask. The said journal shall be devoted to chapter correspondence and to the expression of such thoughts and the exhibition of such matter as will redound to the progress and advancement of this society.
The publication of The Mask was to be "under the editorship of the Grand Editor, assisted by a staff of associate editors, viz., a correspondent from the active membership of each chapter." Although he was responsible to the Grand Council for its publication, the Grand Editor was given control of the publication policies. Publication costs above those derived from receipts from advertising and subscriptions would be borne by the Grand Council.
During the first two years in 1904 and 1905, six numbers of The Mask were published each year. In 1906, four numbers were published, and The Mask has been published on a quarterly basis since that time, except for 1970 and 1971 when only three issues were published.
Those who have served as Editor of The Mask since it was founded deserve the gratitude of the entire fraternity. It was their loyalty and personal sacrifice that created and maintained The Mask as one of the Fraternity's most valuable assets. The extent of their devotion to the publication of The Mask and to the management of its business problems, especially in the early years, can probably be best appreciated when one observes that the publication of The Mask has never been suspended, except for two issues, since it was founded.
Although the official journal of Kappa Psi Fraternity and the Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity was originally entitled The Mask, the name has been changed on a number of occasions. However, each title continued to retain the words "The Mask". The current title, The Mask of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity, has remained unchanged since November 1925.
Garner, DD, The History of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity, 1994, pp. 276-278.